Monday, December 04, 2006

Take 4 TV: The Office (US)

The Office: Seasons One and Two (2005/2006)

What's Going On:
A documentary film crew captures the daily happenings of the employees at the Scranton, PA branch of Dunder-Mifflin, a paper supply company. From surprise birthday parties and random drug testing, to booze cruises and downsizing, the everyday goings on of office life are captured. But it's the interactions, reactions and commentary of the slightly off-kilter office staff that elevate this above your run-of-the-mill sitcom.

Initial Expectations:
I'd been a huge fan of the original BBC series, The Office, so was hesitant to see this at first. I saw the dismal failure of NBC's attempt at importing the BBC series Coupling to American television, and was afraid that this attempt would follow suit. However, I'd read that the creators of the U.S. version truly made the series their own, and had the blessing of the Ricky Gervais (one of the creators of the original series). In addition, several co-workers couldn't stop raving about it (I'm looking at you, Jordan and Kristen). Finally, I saw an episode on a flight across the U.S. and really enjoyed, so decided to give the first two seasons a whirl (Season Three is currently airing on NBC).

Familiar Faces: The only ones I knew of from other things were Steve Carell (who stars as regional manager, Michael Scott), who I first saw on The Daily Show and then The Forty-Year-Old Virgin. Also, I'd encountered Rainn Wilson before seeing him in his role of Dwight Schrute, Assistant (to the) Regional Manager. In previous Take 4 reviews, I'd seen Wilson in both Six Feet Under and Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses. The rest of the cast is refreshingly new.

Things to Look Out For:
1) Some great improvisational skills. While there are some great scripts in place, lots of the actors have improv experience, so you never really know what to expect. 2) Some great new talent. Not only do Jenna Fischer and John Krasinski do a great job portraying Pam and Jim, the best friends that America is hoping will take it to the next level, but you've also got some first timers, such as Phyllis Smith, who plays Phyllis...she had been assisting the casting director, and ended up taking a role. In addition, several of the writers, including Paul Lieberstein and Mindy Kaling, also have roles that have grown more meaty over time. 3) Great special features. It's been a while since I've wanted to watch the deleted scenes or listen to the commentary tracks on something I've reviewed, but I couldn't help it here. The deleted scenes are consistently hilarious, as are the commentaries, which usually include at least four or five cast members. If you check these discs out, take them all in.

Random Trivia:
The computers on the Dunder-Mifflin office set are wired for the internet. Cast members have admitted that when they're in the background of scenes they are often checking email and surfing the net.

And I Quote:
Michael Scott: "I'm friends with everybody in this office. We're all best friends. I love everybody here.
But sometimes your best friends start coming into work late and start having dentist appointments that aren't dentist appointments, and that is when it's nice to let them know that you could beat them up."; Dwight Schrute: "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most."; Jim Halpert: "Last night on "Trading Spouses," there's... did you see it?" Pam Beesley: "No, I have a life." Jim Halpert: "Interesting, what's that like?" Pam Beesley: "You should try it some time." Jim Halpert: "Wow. But then who would watch my TV?"; Michael Scott: "Yes. It is true. I, Michael Scott, am signing up with an online dating service. Thousands of people have done it, and I am going to do it. I need a username, and... I have a great one. "Little Kid Lover". That way people will know exactly where my priorities are at."

Curt's Take: Must See
- This is darn close to being a "Buy. Watch. Repeat." The original BBC version of The Office fell in that category for me, but the only reason I'm holding off on this one is because I imagine there will be some sort of collector's edition down the road with even more in-depth special features. Anyway, this series is damn hilarious. I haven't laughed out loud this much at a television series in ages. The writing and the acting (especially the improvising...something I'm always a huge fan of) are top-notch, and each episode leaves you wanting another. Much better to watch this with a group than by yourself, but don't let that stop you...if you haven't been watching this on TV, start getting caught up today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home