Saturday, October 13, 2007

Take 4 TV: 30 Rock (Season One)

Last week I invited Take 4 readers to guess the theme of my latest group of four movie reviews. In the end, there were eleven correct entries...which are currently being narrowed down to a Final Four set of winners through a series of grueling tests and challenges. Okay, not all that grueling. Anyway, results on that coming soon. This week, we take a look at a sitcom DVD set that I blazed through in order to prepare myself for the upcoming new fall season.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
30 Rock: Season One (2006)

The Premise:
Liz Lemon is the lead writer of a sketch-comedy show on NBC called "The Girlie Show," starring her friend Jenna. The network gets a new head of programming who immediately turns things upside down by bringing in comedian Tracy Jordan to lend his own brand of "urban comedy" to the show. Liz must now deal with her eccentric boss, a potentially unstable new star, and the demands of her cast, crew and writers, while figuring out how to keep her own personal life from spiraling out of control.

My Expectations:
Last year, when Season One started on television, I caught the pilot...and was not impressed. I didn't bother tuning in for any future episodes. That was the same fall, however, where I did decide to give NBC's The Office another chance (I was a loyal fan of the BBC series was against them importing it to the US). I rented the first season on DVD...and ended up liking it as much as the original. So, this fall, with the new season of 30 Rock starting, and having heard buzz about it both among entertainment news and friends who are fans of the show, I decided I'd see if it did indeed get better after the first couple episodes, which several regular watchers told me was the case.

Familiar Faces:
Tina Fey, former writer and actress on Saturday Night Live, portrays Liz, so you can't help but think that some of what you are seeing is autobiographical. Alec Baldwin, plays her new boss, Jack Donaghy, and comedian Tracy Morgan plays comedian Tracy Jordan. You might also recognize Jane Krakowski of Ally McBeal, as Jenna, the original star of "The Girlie Show."

Random Trivia:
Not much of a secret if you've ever been to New York, but the title is derived from the address of NBC Universal in NYC: 30 Rockerfeller Plaza.

And I Quote:
Jack: "Look at this video of a baby panda sneezing." Liz Lemon: "Oh, it's the *cutest* thing I've ever seen!" Jack: [abruptly interrupts her] "I need you to fire 10% of our workforce."

Curt's Take - Must See: I was very impressed. I don't think I liked it as much as The Office, but it was right up there. Very clever writing; a cast that starts off as off-putting and two-dimensional...but evolves into a great ensemble after about three or four episodes, containing some very real and relatable characters; engaging storylines -- it's a great triple threat of a show. Plus, Tina Fey has made me wish that Liz was real and living in Southern California. Surprisingly, 30 Rock is beginning to surpass The Office as my favorite new comedy series (largely in part to the antagonizing hour-long episodes that The Office is insisting on putting out this year). So, check out Season One on DVD...or just jump right into Season Two on television...the first season is great to watch, but isn't "necesssary" to understand about 85% of what's going on this season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home