Thursday, March 16, 2006

Take 4 TV: Wonderfalls

Wonderfalls (2004)

What's Going On?: Jaye Tyler, with philosophy degree in hand, has moved back home to Niagara Falls after college, where she puts her degree to use working as a clerk in a souvenir shop. Things are relatively normal until a sculpted wax lion in the store starts talking to her, directing her to take certain actions. As does the fish mounted on the wall of her favorite bar. And the plastic flamingos on her parents lawn. Basically, if it has a face, it starts to direct her, impacting the lives of others in a series of bizarre chain reactions...that somehow always seem to turn out for the best.

Leading the Line-Up: Caroline Dhavernas plays Jaye, and has the same sort of deadpan humor as Ellen Muth does in Dead Like Me. The similar tone between these two shows surprised me, until I learned through the commentary tracks that Bryan Fuller was the creator of both the shows. I think I really like his style. Anyway, the rest of the cast is great, too, especially Katie Finneran, who plays Jaye's lesbian lawyer sister.

Things to Look Out For
: Some damn funny dialogue. Very well written, as with Dead Like Me.

Special Features to Catch: Well...over the 13 episodes filmed, six have commentary tracks. They include the creators, as well as Caroline and Katie, two of the main females in the series. There is also a brief featurette on special effects and a music video. I'd say watch them all...rather enjoyable.

Random Trivia: During the course of looking for a series title, staff suggestions included: "Animal Crackers", "The Tchotchke Whisperer", "Normally Insane", "What Ever Happened to Baby Jaye?", "Babble Head", and a dig at their competition, "Joan of Niagara".

And I Quote: A few of my favorite exchanges:

Jaye
: "I guess I thought if I could just get my sister laid the little wax lion might just shutup." Eric: "The wax lion wanted your sister to have sex?" Jaye: "I'm assuming." Eric: "Does the little wax lion ever tell you to burn things or hurt people?" Jaye: "I bet he's working up to that..."

Eric
: "I'd like to return these." Jaye: "Are they broken? 'Cause we sell a lot of crap here."

Mahandra
: [off of Jaye's sudden kindness] "Have you been huffing puff paint? Because this just isn't like you." Jaye: "What do you mean, 'like me'? There is no 'like me'. I'm not 'like anything' and if I were, it certainly wouldn't be me." Mahandra: "Why are you doing this?" Jaye: [resigned] "I don't have a choice; I'm a puppet. The universe just sticks its hand up my butt, and if I don't dance, people get hurt!"

Life Lessons From Wonderfalls: 1) Surrender to fate. It may actually work out for the best. 2) If stuffed animals start talking to you, listen. It's in your best interest. 3) When smuggling French Canadians in from across the border, an Ewok blanket always makes things more comfortable as they ride in the trunk of you car.

Curt's Take: "Must See" - I remember watching the first four episodes of this show several years ago on FOX before it was cancelled, and was so disappointed I didn't get to hear the rest of the story. So, you can imagine, I was very happy to find the entire first season (in fact, the entire series) was available on DVD. It's quirky, fun to watch, and has a very stylized sense of humor. The ensemble cast, from Jaye's family to her friends who work at her favorite bar, are so likeable and engaging. At least give the first DVD a chance, and see if you don't get sucked in.

Next Time on Take 4:
Time to take off for the Old West. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home