Sunday, July 17, 2005

AltMedia Review - In Theaters: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory


I had been waiting for this movie for almost a year. And I wasn't disappointed. I loved the original (have it on DVD), and I love Tim Burton, so couldn't wait to see what he was going to do with it.

If you've seen the original and read the book by Roald Dahl, you know how the original film deviates from the text. This remake tries to be more true to the book, in my opinion...but then again, it also tried to develop the character of Willy Wonka much more than was done in the novel.

Oh, yeah...the plot. Wacky candy-maker rewards five lucky children with a tour of his factory. Trouble ensues. And Johnny Depp is daaaaamn weird.

Okay, back to my review. Now, while I liked this remake, I found it hard to directly compare to the original. The original was great, in my mind...what we have here is an interesting alternative manner in which the book is brough to life. The original songs from the book are used, as is the original manner in which lovely Veruca Salt is disposed of. But this film focused a lot more on the character of Willy Wonka (and to a lesser extent, Charlie). One of the things I loved about the original was the brattiness of the kids...while I did rather like the newer Mike Teavee, the original Veruca and Violet were better characters.

Overall, check it out. It's a fun film to watch, especially is the original film holds a special place in your heart, as it does for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Smitty said...

i heard alot of bad things about this movie but i liked it. I agree with you on the actors/characters. Overall it was different but not necessarily worse. And i loved the Umpa Loompas in the new one - so funny!
ps.. love the site :)

3:55 PM  
Blogger Curt said...

Thanks for the compliment!

I wonder if they're going to do a movie version of "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" now. My guess...no.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home