Saturday, June 25, 2005

No Longer By the Numbers

Okay...so here's where I was having trouble. While I know what I think of each DVD I watch, and whether I'd recommend it or not, assigning a numerical rating to it hasn't always been easy. Plus, we then get into sticky situations where The Maltese Falcon ends up with a lower rating than White Chicks.

To remedy this, I'm introducing a new, more qualitative rating system. Each movie will given one of the following ratings, from best to worst:
  • Buy, Watch, Repeat: The cream of the crop. Reserved for movies I not only really liked, but I liked so much I plan on buying the DVD and watching them over and over. And I own very few movies. Examples: The Goonies; Big Trouble in Little China; Empire Records
  • Must See: Still very good, but falls short of being something I feel I MUST own. This is something I'd very much recommend you put on your "to rent" list. Pretty self-explanatory. Examples: El Mariachi; Sunset Boulevard
  • Worth Considering: Sometimes you go to the video store, and your "Must See" movie is out. Or you're flipping channels and just catch the beginning of some movie. That's what this rating is for...check these movies or shows out if the situation presents itself. Examples: 2 Fast 2 Furious; Desperado
  • Not a Priority: If you find yourself checking these movies out, you should really ask yourself if there isn't something better you could be doing with your time. I'm not saying that watching these is a bad idea...just save them for a last resort. If you're on an airplane, and one of these comes on...read the book you brought instead. Examples: The Maltese Falcon; Bulletproof Monk
  • Don't Bother: Skip it. Say no. Unless you're a glutton for punishment, avoid at all costs. Examples: From Justin to Kelly: A Tale of Two American Idols; Bats
  • Run in Fear: Here we have the movies that are so frighteningly bad, that I couldn't even stand to finish watching them. Not only should you not bother to see them, you should evangelize this fact to all those you love and care about. Examples: Saturday the 14th Strikes Back; Supernova

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home